When she hit 18, Gaby Scanlan wanted to celebrate in style. The teenager headed to the local bar in Lancaster, England, bellied up to the bar, and ordered the fanciest cocktail imaginable. That’s what nearly killed her. After consuming a Jagermeister and liquid nitrogen cocktail, Gaby Scanlan’s stomach exploded. The teen was rushed to Lancaster Royal Hospital, where her stomach was removed during an emergency gastrectomy.
“Anything that is the least bit hazardous does not belong in the bar,” said Ray Foley, editor of Bartending Magazine, in an interview with ABC. “People are getting out of hand with these products to show off and not take care of their clients. This nitrogen cocktail; it’s ridiculous.”
Liquid nitrogen is typically used to super-chill drink glasses to A) make drinks nice and cold and B) make sure the glass and drink steams impressively when it is brought out to the consumer. Liquid nitrogen, which is used to make ice cream, freeze alcohol, remove warts, and turn fresh herbs into powder, is about -321 degrees below zero Fahrenheit. So, yeah, DON’T DRINK IT.
Tags: Gaby Scanlan, Lancaster, England, Lancaster Royal Hospital, unusual drinks, unusual accidents, human health, liquid nitrogen, jagermeister, teen blows stomach up, gaby scanlan stomach explosion, liquid nitrogen drink makes girl’s stomach explode, unusual accidents, drink accidents, liquid nitrogen stomach explosion, stomach explodes, weird accidents, ray foley, bartending magazine