Two 24-ounce cans of Monster Energy Drink in 24 hours may have been fatal for a 14-year-old Maryland girl named Anais Fournier, who consumed the two drinks in the days leading up to Christmas and suffered a fatal heart attack on December 23, 2011. The Food and Drug Administration is investigating Monster Energy Drink after a recent outbreak of deaths and hospitalizations related to the highly caffeinated drink. Each can contains 240 milligrams of caffeine, seven times the amount in a 12-ounce soda. Now the family of Anais Fournier has filed a lawsuit against Monster Beverage.
‘I was shocked to learn the FDA can regulate caffeine in a can of soda, but not these huge energy drinks,” said Wendy Crossland, Anais’s mother with Richard Fournier. ”With their bright colors and names like Monster, Rockstar, and Full Throttle, these drinks are targeting teenagers with no oversight or accountability. These drinks are death traps for young, developing girls and boys, like my daughter, Anais.”
Of course, it wasn’t just the Monster that killed Anais. Turns out she had a genetic condition that weakened her blood vessels and that may have contributed to her arrhythmia There are also warnings on the drinks saying they are not for children or people sensitive to caffeine. Still, only two cans lead to death? Multiple people suffering injuries as a result of the drink? Prepare to be carded for your morning Red Bull.
Tags: energy drinks, monster energy drink, monster beverage, monster beverage lawsuit, monster energy drink lawsuit, caffeine toxicity, anais fournier, unusual lawsuits, energy drink lawsuit, heart attack, human health, unusual health news, food and drink, law and order, wendy crossland, richard fournier, food and drug administration, fda